Tuesday 24 May 2011

2 hours!!!!!

My appointment was at 3pm and i nervously waited.

I got called in and i let Dr Wong know that it was a bit uncomfortable at the back when i was biting down, so she checked it out and decided to cut the arms.  She got out a drill (!!!!!!!!) and started to 'saw' through the arms but because my mouth is so small it was proving difficult so she took it out and said that i could wait in the waiting room and have an ice-cream.  I had strawberry.....yummy!

So finished my ice-cream off and went back in to have the expander refitted and what a hassle this turned out to be.  After 15 minutes of saying 'bite down harder' she decided the best thing to do was to make a mould of my mouth and use the mould to refit the expander.  But in the meantime she fitted the two braces to my front teeth and as the mould was going to take about 30 minutes Mum and I went  off  to HMV.

Quite a bit of money later we went back to the ortho's and had the expander refitted, which was successful first time.  She also put some extra cement at the back so i will learn to rely on my back teeth for eating and biting rather than my front teeth.

To finish my visit off she attached the wires onto the braces, threaded them through the backs of the expander and i was all done.  A little sore and achy with a few tears shed during my 2 hours there but i was done and could go home, at last.

So now i have my braces i can't eat:

Whole apples
Whole carrots
Raw hard vegetables in general
Popcorn (no way)
Nuts
Toffee and candy
Hard or chewy foods

Oh and when i was leaving the really nice receptionist, Angela, showed me how to take care of my braces and gave me a little dental hygiene bag that contained a special big toothbrush for regular cleaning and a smaller toothbrush especially for the braces themselves.  Some floss, toothpaste, mouthwash and a special tool for flossing between my braces.

I have to go back next Monday and hopefully then my expander will be fitted in place, for now my Mum has to keep turning it twice a day until then.  Oh man!

Now for some photos:




A funny mouth model
showing what my braces look like.

An x-ray of my teeth.  The ones at the top
are my adult ones trying to get through.

All done!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment